Summary: The Seychelles Islands Foundation (SIF) requires a motivated and professional individual to assist with the successful implementation of the SIF projects. The Project Officer (PO) is responsible to ensure the smooth implementation of SIF projects which can include projects on management, conservation, research, invasive species, biosecurity and education/outreach. The role includes supporting the coordination of differently sized projects, which are usually externally funded and require associated reporting duties to funding agencies, as well as internal projects and biosecurity duties. The PO will be involved in all stages of project management, from preparing funding applications to preparing final reports and budgets for funders, as well as ensuring that the project results are disseminated in appropriate ways. This position is based on Mahé in SIF Head Office (HO). The PO reports directly to the Project Coordinator (PC).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- The PO has the responsibility of supporting the coordination of SIF projects including work plans and budgets at both sites
- Ensure the highest standards of project implementation according to project documents and professional quality are met for all of SIF projects
- Provide support and advice to projects, research staff, and volunteers
- Ensure project results are written up as required and disseminated widely, e.g. technical reports and financial reports to funders/supporters, articles for newsletters and annual reports, social media posts for Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter, co-authorship of scientific papers as appropriate, email summaries of results to stakeholders
- Ensure that biosecurity measures are implemented to the highest standards for transit of supplies, equipment, and staff. This may require performing biosecurity checks/briefings at designated locations
- Liaise with the operations staff, site managers, and designated biosecurity officers at each site to ensure internal biosecurity processes operate smoothly
- Ensure that national biosecurity operations manuals and legislation are adhered to
- Liaise with relevant partners and agencies on biosecurity matters
- Write up or assist with biosecurity reports for transportation of staff and/or supplies from Head Office to Aldabra
- Assist with support to the PC, for example, reviewing and/or contributing reports, protocols and papers, verifying data quality, reviewing proposals, drawing up project agreements
- Develop and implement project work plans on request and submission of monthly reports
- Assist the Science Coordinator to facilitate the export/import of biological research samples/specimens and liaise with researchers and relevant government authorities concerning sample transport
- Assist and lead the sourcing of project equipment on request
- Liaise with relevant authorities to assist with the import of products
- Assist or lead with the responsibility of inventory of research equipment at Head Office
- Provide technical input into management decisions as required
- Advise SIF’s tourism and education programme as required to ensure accuracy of information
- Visit both sites on request to fulfil and oversee project commitments
- Review environmental proposals and documents relevant to the two sites and national interests in the field on request
- Represent SIF at national and international meetings and events on request
- Ensure SIF procedures and financial rules and regulations are followed
- Perform any other duty as required
Qualifications and professional experience:
- BSc, in an environmental-related subject (essential)
- Professional understanding of conservation, scientific research and environmental management in Seychelles and in a global context
- Strong background of writing documents in English (excellent writing skills are essential; ideally a range of work including newsletters)
- Excellent organizational, planning and multi-tasking skills - ability to establish priorities and to plan and coordinate work; ability to effectively coordinate different projects
- Strong communication skills – writing, presenting plus effective interpersonal skills
- A well-developed sense of professionalism
- Good teamwork and respect for diversity – ability to manage and motivate teams of staff to achieve results
- Proven adaptiveness, resourcefulness and positivity
- Commitment and diligence – committed to and diligently working towards achieving results for the sustainable management of Aldabra, Vallée de Mai and Fond Ferdinand.
- Fully computer literate
Languages: Fluency in English speaking and writing (essential), Creole (preferable), French (asset).
Apply for this post by sending your CV and cover letter explaining your capability and suitability for this position. Applications and enquiries on this position can be made at email@example.com.
The deadline for applications is 10/08/21.